Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving (in Canada)

Today is Canada's Thanksgiving. It's a little different to not have pilgrims, parades, and football. But, we decided it's always good to be thankful...so we're celebrating! We decided to start the day with Pumpkin Pancakes. There's nothing like pumpkin to put you in an Autumn mood! My friend Shannon just sent me a recipe for Pumpkin Bread that I just can't wait to try! If you have any recipes that you love to make this time of year, please share them with me! What are your traditions for welcoming this time of year?
Here's the recipe for some yummy Pumpkin Pancakes. This makes about 36 silver dollar pancakes....more than enough for our family! Whenever I have leftover pancakes I put them in a ziplock in the freezer, and then pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast or snack.
Mix :
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
In seperate bowl combine:
3 tablespoons sugar (I used splenda and we loved it!)
4 tablespoons oil (I used Canola)
1 1/2 cups milk (or buttermilk if you have it)
1/2 can pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Gently mix both mixes together and bake on a lightly greased griddle.
Patrick gave me this huge griddle for Christmas last year. I had been wanting one for a while. It always seemed that for breakfast I would be the last to eat because no one really wants to eat cold eggs! Now, with my griddle, we eat breakfast together. I use it for so many things!
This morning I also put in the oven a nice big turkey! We love to use the slow roast method on our turkeys. They turn out very moist and tender and so flavorful. Josh says he loves smelling a turkey all day (or all night depending on when we're planning to eat!) it really gets him in a holiday mood. I love the drippings for an amazing gravy, too! I have a question though. Has anyone ever had a deformed turkey? Ours only has one wing...a little scary! Brenna loves the wings, so I guess she'll claim it, maybe. So, tonight we're having turkey, mashed potates, gravy, Arkansas green beans, and cranberry sauce. For dessert we're going to have the weight watchers 0 point pumpkin pie. We really love it. Not quite the same as pumpkin pie, but very satisfiying.
Here's what you do for 0 point pumpkin pie.
Mix your canned pumpkin with splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg (your taste preference) Heat in the microwave until just warmed. Divide in pretty dishes and top with a dollop of cool-whip. So good!
Not the whole spread for a thanksgiving dinner, but a really good start. Oh, and I might make some buttery pan rolls too. I better get those ready to rise!
So, Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. one year I made chocolate chip pumpkin cookies. I liked them because the dough wasn't too sweet so the chocolate really stood out. The pancakes sounds great and I love your griddle :)
    Happy Fall y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good cooking Josh. Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete