Tuesday, August 8, 2023

A Summer of Kayaking

Wow this summer has really been one of the funnest!! (Is that really a word?  It works for me, because that's what it's been!)

We knew that this summer would be busy with camps and things around here.  It's not always feasible to get away for vacation.  Honestly, it makes those times we do get away so much more special because it doesn't happen like clockwork when summer hits.

But, we decided that we could still have an amazing summer right here in the place God has called us. Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE where we live?  I love how we are in the country.  And I love how we are close to many rivers and lots of springs.  Our plan was to go kayaking plenty and that's exactly what we did!

Patrick bought me a blow up kayak for Christmas.   At first it was hard to figure out and the process to blow it up seemed tedious.  But, then  I found a car adapter for an electric pump.  I can now get that thing ready in 10 minutes!  Pretty neat!   It works perfect for the Santa Fe river that is right by our house.


I have had fun going one on one with my kiddos down the river.  They talk.  I talk.  We make memories.  It's wonderful.

I love to hear their hopes and dreams and plans.  Being on the river with one on one time seems to bring that out in them every time.

And, of course, there is always adventure along the way, like screaming when you see an alligator!  Or getting stuck in the shallows (and praying the alligator doesn't have their home right there.)




It is so peaceful and beautiful!



We see lots of wildlife like turtles, birds, deer and alligators.




Then, we decided to buy a second kayak just like the first.  This let the 4 of us go out together.



 We've had a great time in the river this summer.  And the really neat thing is that we will be kayaking this fall too!  :)  I just love where we live!!

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I'd be afraid of alligators too. I'm glad you and the kiddos are having fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that anonymous comment was from me. I have a multi-step process to try and leave comments ever since the Fall of 2023. It makes it hard to leave anyone comments these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blow up kayak and Florida made me think of alligators too, but I guess you get used to the risk. We just spent weeks out West and in the Smokies camping with bears.

    ReplyDelete