Saturday, December 1, 2012

Heart of the Matter (One more "Lay Up" Post)


So far in our “Laying Up God’s Word in our Heart” study, we have looked at verses to help us in marriage and motherhood.  For this last post on this subject, I want to look at verses that will help us in our relationships.  I’m not just a wife and Momma, I’m also a daughter, sister, cousin, friend…    Just like in being a mother and wife, God wants to guide and direct us in these other relationships, too.  He wants to direct us in what we say, in how we respond, and in what we do.  For this study I chose verses that will help us in these 3 areas.

~What I Say    Proverbs 8:6-8 “Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.  For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.  All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing forward or perverse in them.”  How is my speech?  The words I say (and how I say them) reveal so much about what is in my heart.  My goal in communicating should be to reflect Christ.  Are my words doing that?  It’s a daily question I need to be asking.

~How I Respond    Ephesians 4:31-32 “Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:  And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted,  forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.”    Look at the things in verse 31.  Bitterness, wrath, anger, clamour and evil speaking are all things that grow from being hurt.  We’ve all been there and have been disappointed and hurt by others.  It’s our choice on how we will respond.  My goal is to respond the way Christ did with me.  He was kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving.

~What I Do   Galatians 6:9-10 “And let us not be weary in well doing:  for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.  As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”    We should be seeking and seizing every opportunity to do good to others, especially to other believers.  This could be a mission that you are on with your family.  How fun to find others to “Do Good” to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment