Saturday, March 23, 2024

The hard times. The good times.


It's easy to have on rose colored glasses when you're looking over the fence at a someone else's life.  I remember as a little girl when I would see Pastor Strange out in public. It would amaze me if he wasn't wearing a suit and tie. He used to run and jog in our neighborhood and I was just amazed that our pastor knew how to do that. Silly I know. But I guess I never realized all that a Pastor went through. As a kid. I thought he preached. That's it. He preached. 

As I grew older and went through difficulties, my Pastor was there for me. He would sing "Don't give up on the brink of a miracle" at the right time and cheer my heart and cause me to have faith in the Lord. I realized he did more than just preach. 

Then, as I entered adulthood, and Patrick was called to preach, I recognized more and more what a Pastor did. 

But I guess you could say it wasn't until 9 years ago, when we planted Victory Springs Independent Baptist Church, that I recognized exactly what being a Pastor meant. In fact, I learn more and more everyday.


I'm learning that a Pastor is to be there in the hard times. And in the good times too. It's funny how those times don't always take turns. Sometimes the hard ones group together. 

It's been that kind of couple months for our church and for my Pastor, aka my husband. We've sat with families in some of their most difficult times. It's in those moments that I feel so unworthy of being there for that kind of moment. My heart breaks for those that sit beside me and the burdens they are bearing. I cry out desperately to the Lord to help me to be the blessing they need me to be. 

But then I look at my husband, my pastor, and I see God working through him mightily! God has given him a gift just like he gave to Pastor Strange. It's the gift to be a comfort. I watch as he helps families through difficulties, like praying through as a loved one is being extubated and entering into eternity. I've watched him have to be the one to deliver the news that a child, a loved son, is no longer with us. I've watched him have to have strong shoulders to carry burdens. 

It's not always easy. And it's not always the fairy tale that I thought as a little girl it would be.


But then there are good times. Times like this past week when Pastor Strange came through our area. He was so excited to see the work done on our building. I watched as Patrick showed his preacher everything that God is doing. The two of them walked around with the Pastor's heart dreaming with excitement of everything that will be done within the walls one day. That was one of those good times.
And then there are the times when an adult man recognizes his need of a Savior. That truly makes it all worth it! Then you hear of strides of growth amongst the people in your church and you see the Lord working. You hear from others that pass through of the wonderful spirit and friendliness at our church. Those are good times.

 That truly is the Christian life, isn't it? Hard times. Good times. This sin filled world can sometimes cause us to keep our eyes on the difficulties. Our eyes shouldn't be on the difficulties but they should cause us to keep them focused heavenward because eternity is just around the corner!

I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father that walks with me. He's there with me through the hard times. And he's there with me through the good times. And he's always always faithful.  And I'm thankful for my Pastor. And the gift of comfort that God has given to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment