Monday, February 22, 2010

Mary, the mother of Mark

I love reading about women in the Bible, especially mothers. Sometimes I feel like God put certain passages in the Bible, just for me. He loves to encourage me and meet the needs I have....everyday! Thank you, Lord for your precious Word!

I was reading in Acts and we find Peter in prison. (Peter is one of my favorites, even though he isn't a woman!) The christians are holding a prayer meeting praying for Peter. Where is this meeting?
Acts 12:12....he came to the house of Mary, the mother of John, whose surname was Mark.

Mary is holding a prayer meeting in her home. I'm not sure everything that took place that night at the prayer meeting, but I like to think about how Mary felt. I don't know if this was a planned prayer meeting or not, but somehow, everyone ended up in her home ready to seek the Lord on Peter's behalf. Her home was ready. It doesn't necessarily say how clean it was, :o) but her home was opened to guests. I wonder if she had food prepared and bedsheets ready close by in case there were overnight guests. She was probably busy that day preparing her home for the people to come and pray. Through this she did not neglect her son. I wonder if he helped her? He saw her faithfulness. I know he was watching and she was influencing him through her service to the Lord. I know this, because in verse 25 it says
"And Barnabus and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.

Her influence, readiness, and welcoming heart influenced her son to serve the Lord. That's what I want. I know I have 4 (soon to be 5!) pairs of eyes watching me. Am I for real? or am I a fake? Do I truly want to serve the Lord? or do I have other desires in mind? Am I living for the Lord and obeying His Word? or am I looking for excuses and an easy way out.

Lord, help me to remember those little eyes watching. Help me to be faithful and a real christian. I don't want to fail...this is my one chance with them. Thank you, God for your grace and for giving me exactly what I need from your Word!

2 comments:

  1. Kami, I know what you mean. I feel so much the same way. Thank you for blogging you are such a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete