Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer study with my girls

Patrick and I were talking the other day about how moldable children are. For some reason we got on the subject of the father of Tiger Woods and how he had him playing golf at age 2. He practiced with him and worked with him and now he's a golf champin today (although not a good role model)

It got me thinking about my children and what I want for them. Then I realized how much I need to teach them...especially my girls. So this summer the girls and I are reserving a 15 minute slot in our Saturdays for some girl time in God's Word. Want to join us?



We are doing a study in Proverbs 31 and each week we will have a verse to memorize and an assignment for the week.



So, here's what we learned today. We read Proverbs 31: 10,11

Even though the Proverbs 31 woman was married and had children, this passage can also apply to my girls (and it's a study that I need, too!) My girls are wives and mothers in training. What better way than to practice in our home with their Daddy and brothers. The Proverbs 31 woman was a strong Godly lady that served others. She was not weak or inferior, but she knew her place. She knew what an amazing impact she could have on those around her by being a servant. She had the power and ability to make the lives of others be better by being a servant. We have that ability too!

The Proverbs 31 woman made her home a haven. The word 'haven' means refuge and shelter. When we lived in Fort Myers and hurricane Charlie came through we were so thankful for the haven we had. We were safe from all the wind and debris flying everywhere. We were safe and protected. That's how God designed our homes to be. Also, when we were looking up exactly what the word haven meant, the girls and I realized that the word haven is just one letter away from being Heaven!! That's just like what our homes should be....close to what heaven will be like! Even though the girls are not responsible of being a "keeper of the home" like I am, they can still learn ways to make our home a "haven". They can learn how to treat their Daddy, which is their authority. They can also learn by treating their brother with respect and love. Even though, Joshua (and Silas) is not their authority, they can still help make our home his haven, too.

So, here's our assignments for this week for the girls and I:

1. Memorize Proverbs 31:10,11. We'd like to have verse 10 until the end memorized by the end of the summer.

2. To try and make our home more of a haven we're each going to write a note to Patrick and one to Josh. The note needs to be from the heart, but it can be a simple message like, "I'm praying for you!" or "You did so good in ______ today. Thank you!" or "I love you! thank you for being such a good example to me!" And the note should be hidden in a place that we know they will find it. Our goal is for Patrick and Josh to feel loved and appreciated in our home, our haven.

I'm so thankful for my girls. One day they will be older and I want them to be prepared to be the lady that God wants for them to be!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I would like to join you in doing this. Great way to teach your daughters. Love you all,
    Love MOM

    ReplyDelete