Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Learning Blocks" Quilt

In July my Mom, my sisters, my Mam-maw and I started to work on a sampler quilt together. The plan was to make a block (or 2) a month using different quilt blocks. I was hoping to learn some new sewing techniques. (I've never done anything with triangles!). My girls and two of my nieces also decided to join in. We made 12" squares picking patterns from this site:Quilt Blocks Galore! The patterns were so easy to follow and I loved the fabric that I chose. My girls enjoyed making their blocks too, but after 2 blocks they decided to just make 2 throw pillows instead. Beth decided that for now quilting isn't "her thing" and Brenna likes to sew skirts and simple projects. I was glad they tried.

Well, I finally finished my quilt before Callie was born. I was actually going to post about it the day my waterbroke, but, obviously, Callie Grace had other plans! :o)
So, here's my quilt!
I had fun trying new things and learning how to sew triangles. Some of the squares I really love and I am ready to make a whole quilt of them! Others....not so much.


I named the quilt "Learning Blocks" There are so many mistakes, puckers and imperfections, but my Mom says that's what makes homemade quilts special. I guess mine is really special! :o)






After I bought the white fabric for the back and sashing I thought "You dummy! You know you don't do well with white!" (I tend to spill things a lot and be sort of clumsy) but, after using the white, I love how it turned out! I'm already planning on using white when I make a quilt using the Simply Sweet Fabric from my Mom (wow! That's some gorgeous fabric!)






4 comments:

  1. Kami, it's beautiful!!! I'm in awe, seriously! I really love your pinwheel and star blocks, and your colors are perfect. For your pieced border, how long were your strips? I'm working on a quilt now that I want to piece the inner border, but I haven't decided how long to make my strips. Plus it's all just a learning game for me; I'm not following an exact pattern for this one. And did you machine quilt? I love how it looks on the back! Also, thanks for posting the link to Quilt Blocks Galore. I plan to go over there and take a look around. Send the troops out if nobody hears from me for a while! ;)

    Thanks for sharing your quilt. Again, it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love love love this quilt. You did a fantastic job on it and I love the colors too. It looks so fresh and inviting to wrap up in. Thanks for letting me use it during our movie night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's beautiful! Great job.
    This quilt looks so soft and welcoming.
    I'm a little jealous of your ability, maybe I should give it a go. nahh! I'll just enjoy looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is beautiful, Kami. I love the color choice as well as you being so adventurous to try new things.

    ReplyDelete