Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Ponder ~ Whatsoever things are True




My first time leaving the mission field for sickness brought about a lot of questions. What if the doctors find out what is wrong?  What if they don't?  What if it's life theatening? What if I can't come back soon?    What if we can't stay on the mission field because of my health?

So many "What If?" thoughts floated around in my brain.

Like every other trying-to-live-for-Jesus Momma and wife out there,  that is not the only time I have been bombarded with "What If?"  When I was pregnant with each of my children I asked "What if my babies don't make it?  Or have a sickness and they suffer?"  On deputation I asked, "What if we never raise our support?"  On the mission field I asked, "What if I never learn french?"  As a homeschooling Momma it's sometimes, "What if these kiddos never learn and graduate??"

What if?  Sometimes it's a serious "What if?"  Sometimes it's more of a daily silly "What if?"  But, nonetheless, "What If?"  is just a guess at my future.  My future is in God's capable hands.  He can handle my "What Ifs?"

In my "Ponder" study last year, I studied out Philippians 4:8.  God tells us exactly what we should be thinking about.  He doesn't suggest or encourage us to think a certain way, He commands us how to think.  He starts out the verse with "Whatsover things are true..think on these things."  As I studied this out and read books on this subject, the Lord helped me with my thinking.  And with my "What If?" thoughts.  You see, if I'm thinking on what is true, or real in my life, I'm thinking on what is going on right now in the minutes God has me in right now.  Often, our mind wants to worry and fret on what may never  happen.  We often think in worse case scenarios, don't we?  Then, we end up having fearful anxious thoughts on a situation that isn't based in reality.

God gives us promises for our future that we can rest in, and that will help us keep our thoughts under control

1. Nothing will ever happen to me that God cannot handle by His Power.  We have an all powerful God.  When we feel like we are too weak we need to take comfort in the fact that, His grace is sufficient for us and that His strength is made perfect through our weakness. (2 Corinthians 12: 9-10)

2. Nothing will ever happen to me that will not eventually be used by God for some good purpose in my life.  My life is a big puzzle.  Some days I see the not so pretty, pointy, difficult pieces.  Other days it's the flowery, colorful pieces.  But, God wants to put each piece in its proper place and make my life beautiful.  If I will let him. (Romans 8:28)

3.  Nothing will ever happen to me apart from God's presence.  I've often heard it said, "How do people make it through without the Lord?"  His presence is what helps us get through the storms in our life.  He has promised us that He will never leave us.  He truly is our friend, and for that I am so thankful!

Now, of course, planning for our future is very wise, and there are many places in scripture that reference being prepared and organized for the days ahead. I like my lists!! :o)  But, once we do that, it's time to leave our future in the Lord's hands.  He can handle it so much better than we can!

"What If?"  have you asked yourself that lately?  Give it to the Lord and think on what is true.


 

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent. I was doing the what ifs recently when my children were so sick. It really drained me emotionally. Thank you for this post because I never saw that verse like that. To think on what is true is to think on the here and now, not on what could happen.

    ReplyDelete