Wednesday, March 24, 2010

$5 Challenge

Last month I saw a really fun challenge for spring on a cute craft blog called Living with Lindsey.
Here's the link:
Are You Up for the Challenge (Again)?
I decided I would try it and I had so much fun at our Dollarama here in Canada! The idea is to create a new item of decor for your home that will help bring in the Spring season. And we sure need that in Quebec! You can spend up to $5 at a dollar store, then use those items to create a new decoration. (You can also use paint, glue, ribbon, etc....stuff you already have at home) I went with Patrick and we had so much fun coming up with ideas. (He actually made a deco, too, but I'm not so sure he will post it on his blog which is our family blog...it's cute, though!)

So, here's what I bought:
~A wooden birdhouse
~Small luncheon napkins
~A bag of butterfinger chocolate Easter Eggs
~A pack of metal butterflies that are usually used in scrapbooking.
And, Voila! Here is my creation! I transformed the birdhouse to be a napkin holder.
Here's how I did it:

First, I made sure my napkins would fit inside the birdhouse. The top pops right off and is only holding on by a piece of rope.


Then, on one side of the top of the birdhouse, I marked an inch from the top and both sides.



(Thanks, Brenna, for taking my picture! :o)




Then, I marked clearly where I would need to cut.







I snipped off the rope so I can remove the top freely.


Then, I enlisted my handy, and incredibly handsome, husband to cut part of the top off.



Don't you just love our basement! :o)




Then, I removed the plastic from the base. It just slid out.


Then, I used Brenna's paints and mixed green with white, yellow and a little bit of teal to create a lime green. I painted the green on, then...


I took a paper towel and tried to rub off a bunch of the paint. I was wanting some of the wood grain to peak through and it did! I love the effect!


Paint the top and base, then wash the clear plastic piece. It was pretty dusty from sitting on the store's shelves! Then, wiggle it back in on the grooves.


I wanted to decorate the top, so I found some ribbon and used my hot glue gun to attach it to the top.





I added white, then orange gingham on top.


Then, I glued the metal butterflies to the top. Aren't they so cute?




I put the top back on and put in the napkins.



Then, I added the the butterfinger eggs to the bottom. Doesn't chocolate make everything better? :o)


The back



And the front! What a fun project....except I noticed my candies disappeared quite quickly. Guess I need to fill it up again? I think I'll try the mini cadbury's. Has anyone tried those yet?


























12 comments:

  1. I love it!!! You did a fantastic job. I'll send my pics to your e-mail. Is Patrick going to post his? Taylin and Mam-maw are almost finished with theirs too. Is anyone else in the challenge. Who judges it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I will never look a bird feeder the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those napkins are so pretty! What a great idea to use a birdhouse to 'house' them! ;) Wasn't this such a fun challenge?!

    ~Jennifer
    www.studiojru.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, creative- and functional!! You did a great job thinking this one out! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your husband are a crafty pair. Bless you for sharing the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful idea, and "yes" chocolate does make everything better. I second Laura on blessings for sharing the gospel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea! Your hubby looked so sweet making the cuts for you= are they not just the best those men God gave us!!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great you worked on the project together!! Very creative and adorable. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute with lots of great pictures!!!

    Way to show your kids by example how to live with flair with just a few dollars and a BIG imagination!

    ReplyDelete