Thursday, March 11, 2010

2 Sourdough loaves of Pure Bliss!

Today was the day of baking! I dreamed all last night wondering if my efforts for sourdough this week would turn out delicious. Well, we weren't disappointed! We all loved it! Here's the recipe:
Soften 1 packet of yeast by mixing with 1/4 cup of warm water. Let sit for about 5 minutes for yeast to "proof"

Then, add to the yeast mixture 2 cups of your sourdough starter, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, 1 Tablespoon of oil (I used canola, but I'm sure vegetable would be fine) 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of flour. Beat this mixture very well.

Then, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of flour. The dough will be stiff. Knead dough on floured surface until dough is smooth. Let this sit for 30 minutes.


Then shape into an oblong loaf. This recipe is supposed to make 1 loaf, but it seemed too big, so I made it into 1 big loaf and one small one. Put this loaf in a greased bread pan and cover with towel. Let rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake loaves for 35 minutes. Delicious! We just tried it with butter and it was great! I can't wait to try some new sourdough recipes...I think I'm feeling like doughnuts Saturday!!!




Now, what to do with the rest of the starter and to keep it going! After you take out your needed 2 cups of starter, you are going to "feed" your starter. Brenna thinks it sounds weird to "feed" dough, but this is the term used. You are going to feed it equal parts flour to equal parts water. I did 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour. Then, you stir well and let sit on your counter 6-8 hours or overnight. Then, put a lid on container (I went back to my pretty container!) and put your starter in the fridge. You need to use your starter at least once a week, but preferably more often. Everytime you use it you will take out the needed amount of starter (in this recipe it was 2 cups) then, "feed" your starter, let sit for 6-8 hours, then put it back in the fridge. You will do this everytime so you can keep your starter going. If you have a super busy week and don't have time to bake, you can take out a cup of starter, throw away, feed your starter, then put back in the fridge. I don't think your starter will know the difference ;o) Also, try to stir your starter once a day.




Mission Accomplished!
Joshua loved his sourdough bread and I'm glad I could do something small to say "I Love You" to my baby boy!










No comments:

Post a Comment