Monday, November 23, 2015

Deer in the Freezer!

My boys are loving living in the woods!  They have been scoping out the best spots and have been looking forward to opening day of deer season.  My Patrick was excited to be able to put some Venison in the freezer!

  I made the only recipe that I've ever made with deer meat.  It had been about 10 years since I made it last, so I was wondering if we would still like it.  My 3 little ones were so excited to be eating "Daddy's Deer."  When they tasted it, they loved it!  Micah said, "It is so juicy!"  They even asked for more the next day!

 So, I figured I would share the recipe I made, given to me by Mrs. Pat Brown!  (Thanks Mrs. Brown, you're a blessing!) This is so easy!
Here's what you do:
Put the big chunk of deer that your mighty-hunter-husband brought home in a pot on the stove with about 3 teaspoons of oil.  (I seasoned my first with Badia all-purpose seasoning)  Let it sear very well, then transfer to the crockpot.  Mix 2 cans of cream soup (I used Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken) and 2 Beef Bouillon Cubes that have been dissolved in one cup of warm water.   Pour over meat in crockpot and cook a LONG time.  (I did mine about 8 hours)  I serve the meat and gravy over rice.  Sooo yummy!

Beth's plan is to make some deer burgers.  I also made some small deer steaks.  There is plenty of meat left, anyone have some recipes to share?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say "congratulations" on the deer. That's awesome! The recipes you have sound great. As for me, I like it sliced and fried in some shortening (like Crisco) along with some onions and mushrooms until caramelized. Then I like to have boiled potatoes and salad to go with it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom does a lot of stew meat chunks for her hearty tomato-venison stew; she also usually picks up an ordinary ham at the grocery store and runs it through the meat grinder with the venison bits. Makes amazing burgers or meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use it in anything we would use beef and you can hardly tell the difference. A family favorite would be fajitas.

    ReplyDelete