Saturday, October 29, 2016

It's a Wonderful Life!

I posted a while back about reading the book by Terrie Chappell, "It's a Wonderful Life."  What a great book!  Katie commented that she has a favorite part, so I'm curious to know which is her favorite....it's been hard for me to narrow it down!!

This book is written with the ministry wife in mind.  I love Mrs. Terrie's style of writing, it's so easy to read, yet so encouraging and convicting to me personally.  She told many personal stories of being in the ministry and what has worked for her and her family.  I learned so much!  She emphasized the fact that we often get too caught up in ministry life that we substitute serving Christ for our daily walk and fellowship with Him.  When we do this, we will run dry and empty and have nothing to offer to the people we are called to minister to.  How easy it is to let this happen.  My time with Christ strengthens and enables me to be what I need to be for my family and those around me.

Her chapter on irritation was also quite convicting.  She said that irritation is a form of pride and that "pride can also be revealed by how we handle the trials that come in our lives.  When we think we don't deserve a trial and are annoyed by the inconvenience, we are allowing pride to take hold.  In humility, we must remember that God is in control.  He allows the trials so we can continue to humbly rely on Him for the strength and guidance we desperately need."  How true!  It's so easy as a busy momma and wife to be irritated when things don't go exactly how I had planned it for the day.  Interruptions do come.  I want to keep my heart right during those times, and look for the lessons God would have me to learn!

Another thing she mentioned, that I have found myself sharing with others is, "wishing for just 2 more hours a day is a revealing signal that we have taken on more than God ever desired for us to do."  Anyone else guilty of this?  My hand is raised because that is me on a daily basis!  I'm always wishing for more hours and energy to be able to do more in my day!  But, God has given me the exact amount of time to complete exactly what He would have me do...every single day.  That is a thought that has given me peace and the ability to look at my list and say, "Lord, what would YOU have me to do today?"  Mrs. Chappell says, "Over commitment causes us to hear only the loud noises of urgency and immediate crisis.  It deafens us to the quiet and highly important needs of our families, our hearts, our husbands, and our ministries."  "When I pillow my head at night, do I have the inner peace of a clear conscience, knowing that I invested my time and energy into the most important priorities in my life today?"

I highly recommend this book to any wife in the ministry.  It has been such a blessing!  And my favorite part?  Probably the carrot and coffee bean illustration at the end.  But, I'll let those that buy the book read that! ;o)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very good book. It's always good to see what we can learn from others and I'm sure such a book especially encouraging to a missionary and pastor's wife. I think the lessons you've shared with us are also applicable to those not "officially" in ministry ,but ministering daily to others daily in their work and social lives. Hugs and blessings, Kami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Such good lessons for everybody! It was such a blessing to me!

      Delete