Thursday, January 28, 2016

Fighting for my Spiritual Growth

I've been trying my hand at winter gardening.  The jury is still out on whether I've been successful or not.  I have pretty green plants of carrots, brussel sprouts and broccoli.  I'm praying they will produce beautiful vegetables! I'm praying they will grow!

The weeds on the other hand....they just keep growing.  I pull them and hope they will stay away for ever, but as I glance outside, I see they are back again with a vengeance! Whether I like it or not, they just keep growing!  It doesn't take any work to grow a weed garden!

Our spiritual growth is not quite like my weeds in the garden. I will not grow closer to the Lord on accident.  It does take work!  Our faithful enemies (our flesh, the world, and satan) fight hard for us to be bondage to them.  For us to grow closer and closer to the Lord, it will be a battle.  But, I am determined to fight for my spiritual growth!

I've prayed about some tools and ideas that will help me in my fight!  Here is one of the things that I am doing for this year of 2016:


~My Red Basket  The Lord is really working on my heart about not being a "forgetful hearer" like in James 1:25.

You know your devotion time is something you just cross off your list when you do it in the morning and then forget about it for the rest of the day.  I don't want to be like that.  I don't want to forget!  So, here is my plan for not being a forgetful hearer:  My Red Basket!  In the morning when I read my Bible, I am on the look out for the verse that God wants me to apply to my life that day.  It is amazing what He brings out in scripture!  When I find that verse I copy it three times.  I put one in my Red Basket on my desk.  I put one in the window by the kitchen sink.  Then, I put the third in my bathroom mirror.   By writing out the verse, it gets logged in to my brain.  By seeing it throughout the day I am remembering.  That is my goal.  What is the result for one that remembers?  The book of James says that he will be blessed in his deed.  That's what I want!

So, I am ready to fight for my spiritual growth.  I want to do my part and make it happen.  The rewards of walking daily with the Savior are benefits that I need!  Thank you Lord for your Word!!

4 comments:

  1. It's funny that as I have almost all grown children how my quite time has changed a little. It's not always as early in the morning and I can spend a little more time then I used to. That comes from not having little ones anymore who need me so early in the morning. I like that red basket idea! For me, I write the verses that really speak to me in my little journal and read it and meditate on it throughout the day. I think you are doing a great job as a Mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea! I do often write the verses out somewhere but I love the thought of having them everywhere so I can see them very often throughout the day. Thank you for sharing - I'm excited about implementing some of the ideas you've posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it certainly takes work and planning to make sure we have a good study time, meditation, application, etc. I like your idea and I'm glad it's working for you. xx

    ReplyDelete