Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Summer and Modest? How does it all work together?


If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you've probably noticed that we dress a little different.  We have chosen to make sure that our clothing is modest and pleasing to the Lord. We have prayerfully looked at what the Bible says about how we should look, and have tried our best to follow those guidelines.  Sometimes those that choose to be "modest"  let those standards slip when there is an activity that makes modesty a little bit tricky.  (For example, swimming, biking, skiing, sledding...you get what I mean.) I truly believe that setting Godly standards in your life should be a consistent lifestyle.  My children are watching me, and if I let those standards I have put in place slip when a certain activity arises, they lose their faith in my leadership as their Momma, and question why we do what we do.  Basically they lose faith that I really believe what I say I do, and they will begin to question every other standard and principle we follow for our family.  It's more than just "What I wear", it's a matter of the heart and how I believe the Lord would have me to live.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about modesty, so I thought I would try and clarify a few things, then I want to give you some practical tips that have helped me navigate through being modest, while still living in this world.  In this century.  And in the place that I live.

First of all,

What modesty is not:

~A reason to be prideful and think I am better than anyone else.  If my reason for dressing different causes pride in my heart, then I have missed my purpose altogether.

~Something to be embarrased about.  I can still be put together and attractive and be modest.  I don't have to be "frumpy" or be weird.  (Or at least try not to be :o) )

~Hard to do or impossible.  I really can participate in fun things. I just have to be creative!

~Legalistic. This word can be thrown around quite easily. By definition legalism is  dependence on moral law rather than on personal religious faith. Legalism is something you add to your salvation to gain heaven.  I do not dress the way I do to earn heaven.  Christ has already paid in full the price needed for me to be saved.  I thank the Lord for that!! There is nothing I can do to earn my way to heaven.  I could cover myself in a sack and call it modest, but that would never get me to heaven.  It's because of Christ that I have salvation, not my dress standards.

What modesty is:

~Pleasing to the Lord.  God lays out clearly in His Word how we are to live and what would be pleasing to Him.  Whether it is how to treat our neighbors, how to treat our animals, what we ought to eat, and even how to dress....it's in there!  He doesn't want His Will to be a mystery to us.  That's why He tells us in the Bible.

~Not just for ladies.  I believe God wants men to be modest too!  And He has set guidelines for that in His Word as well.

~Not impossible.  You can find modest clothes!  I do admit it can be challenging.  My girls and I have learned that the hunt for right clothes can actually be fun!  When we score a cute jean skirt at a thrift store, we get very excited!!


So if I choose to be modest, and I've found in God's Word what ought to be covered, or not revealed, then how does it work to go swimming or kayaking or other summerime adventures?  Let me give you a few practical tips:

~Skirt like culottes that are flowing work very well in the water.  You can swim and still be modest!  It's important that the fabric is not clingy.  That would defeat the purpose.  My girls and I have found that we really like these on Amazon.  And they are priced well, too!  They are our favorite for water activities since they have a more full skirt, but not so big and heavy that it makes swimming difficult.  We have tried others that are cotton and have a slit on the side where the skirt is, but they just aren't practical for swimming, kayaking or biking.

~Dark T Shirts and Swim shirts are a must!

~We also go to parks when no one else is there.  I just about always remind my kiddos on the way there that if there are people there to where it won't be private for us, then we don't stay.  And that's okay.  We will find something else super fun to do that day.  Just as it's important for us to BE modest, it's important to try our best to guard our eyes of the nakedness around us.  Especially for our boys and men.  We ladies ought to do our best to help them in this area.  It may mean going to the springs the moment they open (or slightly before and hope the gate is open!!)  It may mean that we swim for 35 minutes and have to go, but that's okay.  I have found that the Momma not only sets the tone for the home, but also when out for the whole family.  If I grumble and complain that we barely got wet then had to leave, then they will complain.  But if I am so excited that we had 35 whole minutes to dive and swim and explore, then most likely everyone else will catch on too.  Then, on the days God just gives you unexpected swim time galore, it makes it even more special.

~Be Flexible with your times and places, but set your standards and keep them.  Know what God would have for you to do, and determine to be faithful.


When I first began to think about what I wore and if it was what I should be wearing, a friend gave me a book that backed up what the Holy Spirit was convicting me of in my heart.  It really put it all together for me.  The book is "What in the world should I wear" by Cathy Corle. You can find it at Revival Fires Publishing.  There are many good books on modesty out there, but this one is still my favorite.  It is very specific, and gives lots of Scripture.

So, we've wrapped up our summer.  It was amazing! But I think I'll do one more post, to share all the little, wonderful things!


 

3 comments:

  1. I love it when others are mindful of what they are wearing and showing to others. Well done for being a great example to your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true but rarely accepted among Christians…. Thank you for sharing. Williston, FL Maynardfamilyhomestead.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to meet yall

    ReplyDelete