Friday, September 21, 2012

Praying for Ukraine

When Patrick was on staff at Central Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, we had a very dear missionary couple come through.  I remember Mrs. Jolene Sloan's testimony very cleary and it spoke to my heart.  As she spoke, you could really tell the love and dedication she has for the Lord. When my children began supporting missionaries themselves on a monthly basis, the Sloans were one of the first that my Joshua chose.  He wrote them, and they wrote back a sweet letter and sent a picture.  It was so sweet and it has a special place in his Album.  A few years after that I found Jolene's blog.  It was great to hear news from the mission field...a place I would soon be! (except on the other side of the world! :o)
 I've loved following Jolene's blog and watching her family grow.  So, when we were picking missionaries to feature for our September missions month, it was natural for us to pick the Sloans.  They sent a link to their presentation that had a clip of the church in Ukraine singing.  What a blessing it was!  We showed this during our Sunday Bible Study and our people loved it! 
 We also made some of the traditional Ukrainian foods that Jolene suggested.  We had Borsch and
 a type of Potato Salad (Olivier).


 This is Eliane.  She is such a sweet lady, I'm so thankful she is coming so faithfully!  She's become a dear part of our Sunday time and is so grateful and appreciative. She's a blessing!  She's been joking with Patrick lately that my french is much better than his.  (Of course, that's a major joke, because he's doing amazing.  Me?  I'm getting by ;o)  She loves to joke with him!)
 Then, we served Napolean Torte.  Wow!  That dessert was a lot of work! But, it was lots of fun "visiting" Ukraine for the day and praying for our dear fellowservants.
Please remember to pray for our missionaries in Ukraine.  The government does not easily give Visas, and it is getting harder for our missionaries to be able to stay.  The Sloans are back in the states now for a furlough while they try to take care of their Visas.  I know how confusing and frustrating that can be!
You can find Jolene's blog here.
Another dear Ukrainian missionary that I've met through blogland is having Visa issues also.  I love to read Jessica's blog and I know you will love looking at pictures of her adorable kiddos.  You can find Jessica's blog here.

6 comments:

  1. I just met Jolene through her blog a few months ago. I've really enjoyed getting to know her. She does indeed have a sweet spirit of love for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your prayers for Ukraine. As I read through, I almost cried. How I long to be back, enjoying borsch and Napolean torte with our dear sweet church people...plus a few. Again, thanks for your prayers. We are praying to head back November 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love reading both of those blogs too :)and this one :). Enjoying your Missionary focus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Jolene when we were both young teenagers. I went to a youth conference in OKC in the summers and met her through my friend Rebecca. I am going to look at her blog! What a small world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kathriann, I'd love to hear from you! Yes, it IS a small world!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for featuring our family and ministry, Kami! David and I enjoyed reading both yours and your husband's reports of this special day on both of your blogs (although we weren't able to comment on his blog).

    Your food looked great! Even though our favorite foods are not Ukrainian food... (what can I say? Hubby comes from Mexico and we lived in Israel and especially enjoyed the Mediterranean style foods. We also really love American food.)... but it has a special place in our hearts because of the many fellowships we have enjoyed these foods at with people who are dear to us.

    And, you get an A+ because I have never even made the Napoleon Torte myself. American cakes are so much easier since 1-3 layers are sufficient. For Ukrainians, a cake is just not a cake unless it has lots of layers... kind of a "bragging rights" thing that my husband says is in the Mexican culture too... just that in Mexico the goal is to get as many eggs (not layers) in there as possible!

    Anyway, YOU are a blessing to ME, and I appreciate your special prayers for my family during your missions emphasis month! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete