Sunday, January 20, 2019

Reading Goals


This is hard!  I said I wanted to set a goal of 5 Spiritual books for this year. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I'm trying to keep things in focus and in the midst of reality for this season in my life.  It was hard to narrow it down to just 5!

I looked and looked over my books and think I have a good start.

My goal for this year:

Little Judy Learns Her Lessons.  This book can be found here.
This is written by my dear Pastor's wife, Judy Strange.  It is a story of lessons she learned from her childhood.  I can't wait to read it!

God's Blueprint for Homebuilders by Dr. M H Tabb.  This book comes highly recommended.  You can find it here.

How to be close to your children  by Dr. Jeff Fugate.  I've read this one before many years ago and loved it.  I'm looking forward to refreshing my memory and reading it again.  You can find it here.

A Treasury of Hymn Stories by Amos R Wells.  I found it on Amazon. I love to hear the stories behind the hymns that we sing.  So powerful!

Following the Man of Faith by Dr. Janet Walsh which can be found here.   I confess, I've read the first couple of chapters.  I'm looking forward to reading more!

And there are a couple (I know this is more than 5) that are not in the picture that I'm planning to buy soon.

The 5 love languages for KidsI found it on Amazon  I heard a youtuber talking about this book the other day.  I love the one for couples, so the 5 love language concept sounds like a good idea for kids, too.  Looking forward to reading this!

Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard.   You can find it here.  A friend of mine blogged about how she had a copy of this book as a young girl and loved it to pieces.  She made me so interested, so it is definitely next on my list to buy.

Parenting Skills by Dr. Bob Gray Sr.   Joshua and Tabitha have been reading this book and they love it.   I know they bought theirs from Berean Publications, but I can't find it on that site.  I found it for sale on Barnes and Noble as well.  I plan to borrow it from them when they are done.



So I know the total is more than 5.  But that was as much as I could narrow it down.  Then, I put on my stack a few more that I hope to get to as well....we'll see!



One thing I love to do as I read books like this is to take notes as I go.  I used to highlight as I went.  But, that doesn't work if you are borrowing a book.  I have also found that if I find a quote I really like, then it's easier to find it again if I've written it down.  I always put the page number from that quote as well in case I want to reference it. 


And one more reading goal for the year.  I'd like to read through The Christian Lady's Handbook by Dr. George and Melva Alquist with Callie.  Beth and Brenna read it when they were younger and they loved it.  Callie is at the age where she is growing into such a wonderful young lady.  Now's the time to enjoy books like this with her.

I'm excited about the reading I've chosen for this year.  I plan to blog about them as I go and give an honest review from my standpoint. Anyone else have some good goals for the year?  I would love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and your choices! Praying God blesses you and your family abundantly in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete