Friday, September 20, 2024

To instill a live for reading.

Books. We really do have a ton of them. Patrick jokes that most of what we shipped to the mission field was books! Forget household goods! 🤣 

As we've been organizing our schoolroom, we've noticed our supply of books has creeped up even more. And then we realized that everyone of them has been read!!

My kids all love to read. Some read more than others, but each one loves to find a cozy spot with a good book.

So how did this happen? I can't really pinpoint one thing that caused my kids to be readers, but I can tell you what I did that may have contributed to their love of reading. 

*We started reading to them very young. When Joshua was weeks old we began to read to him. He loved to hear us read. We would use lots of expression and make different sounds for different characters. These were precious times. Then when Beth came along the tradition continued, and has continued with each of my babies.

*We brought books everywhere. In the car, to the store, to a picnic. Books were always in our bag ready to be read at any time. 

*When my kiddos began to get older and started to outgrow naptime, we would still have an afternoon quiet time. We did this until about 6 or 7 years old. Even though they wouldn't sleep, they would be allowed to pick a few books to read during their quiet time. They treasured those books!

*Limit screentime. It's a fact, if they have access to a screen they will pick it everytime. It's easier to watch something and takes more effort to read. We naturally want to pick easy. 

*Take them to libraries and bookstores galore!

*Recognize that everyone is different. My children have different genres they enjoy reading. Find out out what they like. For instance, Callie loves a good mystery, Micah likes to read books about planes and adventures, Silas loves heavier theological books and joke books.  

* Encourage reading at bedtime. I try to give them an extra 15 minutes in bed before lights out so that they can read. 

I want my kids to read for fun. I want them to read to grow in knowledge. Reading is so important!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment