Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Brenna Donates to Locks Of Love

About a month ago Brenna told us she would like to donate to Locks of Love. For those who don't know, Locks of Love is an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair from cancer treatments. They take donations of hair to make the wigs. The hair must be at least 10 inches long. We told her she needed to pray about it. She prayed, and she told us she really feels she should do this. Yesterday I told her to make a list of the reasons why it's a good idea, and why it's not a good idea and we'll talk about it some more. Here was her list:
Good Reasons:
I want to give my hair to help children with Cancer
I want to look like Kit (the American Girl)
It will take me less time to wash and blow-dry my hair.
Bad Reasons:
Some people may not like it.
We were very proud of her and told her we could do it the next day. We talked to 2 hairstylist here in Canada, but there was so much of a langauge barrier we weren't sure they understood us. So, we printed out the Locks of Love instructions and did it ourselves. I couldn't do the first cut, so Patrick did it. (While I cried)

We measured to make sure we had the right amount.

After Patrick did the first cut, we showed it to her and she said "Wow!" She wasn't disappointed at all, she was really excited.



I straightened up all the ends and she went and looked in the mirror and loved it. We think she looks so adorable! (And a little like Kit except with Brown hair.) We're so proud of our baby girl. It takes a lot for a girl to cut off that much hair! Way to go, Brenna! We love you!







2 comments:

  1. What a kind hearted sweetie you have on your hands.

    http://fromthehandbasket.blogspot.com/2008/08/rachels-big-give.html

    I thought you might like to look at that link of another little girl I know that donated her hair.

    An amazing gift for a child. I love reading your updates, but have been slow on the comments lately. It looks like your new home is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna, I am so proud of you and you look adorable. You are so amazing in giving and brave and kindhearted.
    I sure do love you,
    and miss you too,
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete