Thursday, April 26, 2018

Storybook Farms


When we first moved to North Central Florida, and God provided 5 acres for us, I joked that we were starting our little family farm.  It's been fun!  God has provided so much for us!  Well, as we've grown, we've joked that we needed a real name for our little family farm.  And...we decided on one!



It's been fun naming our goats after childhood classics, so when Brenna thought of this name, we thought it was perfect!  And with a perfect name, you just have to add some more chickens!
Our girls are laying great, but we wanted to add a few more.  It's been fun giving away eggs and eating lots of omelets!


We bought some young ones that should be laying in a few months.  Callie was quite excited!!


We bought 2 Rhode Island Reds,


And three Barred Rocks.  That makes 14!


And with such a cute new name for our farm,we decided to add another goat as well :o)



Now we have a herd ;o)  of 6!



Introducing Heidi! We've enjoyed going to the Livestock Market not far from us. We've never bought anything, but it's fun to go and figure out what's going on.  When a sweet friend gave us some "date money"  Patrick and I decided to take a date to the Livestok Market buffet and bid on a new goat.  We've acclimated quite well to North Central Florida living! :o)  There were over 400 goats that went up for auction. 

There were so many cute ones.  We knew we wanted to get a boer goat.  When this little cutie came up, I elbowed Patrick and said, "I want her!"  He bid and bid and we won!  I was so excited!  I was very proper and refrained myself from jumping up and yelling, "Yay!  We finally bid on a goat!"  Although my smile was so huge the auctioneer announced, "He got a smile for that one!"


She was quite skiddish at first.  You can tell she's not used to a whole lot of people interaction.  But, after some persistance, she's doing well and likes us!


One proud little goat farmer. :o)



 Patrick set up a movable fencing area that we move around our property.  It saves on hay, and it mows our lawn!  They've done quite well staying where they are supposed to.  But, every so often they all work together and figure a way out!


We get them back to their pen at night with a shake of the grain bucket.



Having so much fun!  And I think Corduroy (the goat jumping in the picture) is too!

And now I want to add something to Storybook Farms.  I'm planning on getting 6, hopefully in the next week.  Any guesses what I'm adding?

4 comments:

  1. I love the name! It's perfect!
    Maybe flower bushes?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the name. As for the six things you are getting next week, how about ducks? I'm not sure what purpose they would serve so probably not ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your farm and I'm so glad you and your family are settling in well in Northern Florida and that you've taken to raising animals. I'm not sure what you've got coming up next. Is it bunny rabbits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought was rabbits - seems like the most logical addition since they can be profitable - waiting to hear . . . :)
    .

    ReplyDelete