Saturday, April 7, 2018

What can we grow?


If you've read my blog for the past 3 years, you've seen us try to be good stewards of the beautiful 5 acres that God has given to us.  We'd never dreamed we'd be owners of gorgeous land.  But, we are!  And we want to use it in a way that is wise.  So....we decided we would make this our little farm.  How fun!  But, as you know, there has been a lot of trial and error.  With a little emphasis on the error side.  We've planted, we've watered, we've bought animals...we've tried!

We are finding, however some things that actually ARE growing! 

In February Lowe's had some of their plants that were dying on clearance.  I know, crazy me that can't grow anything try to buy clearance, dying flowers??? But, they were cheap and I decided to , once again, try. I bought snapdragons, petunias and dusty millers.  I planted them in the gorgeous (yard sale!) planters I had out front.  I put them in a sunny spot.  And what do you know??? A month and half later and they are thriving! What?  How did that happen?  But, it's true!


Our apple trees (we have 2) are another story.  So far we have one apple. one.  We've talked to a few people about apple trees in north florida.  Not an easy thing to grow!  Hopefully we can do a few things different and try again.  We'll see!


Blueberries.  We still have the 4 bushes.  I think two are struggling.  The other two have healthy beatiful leaves and about 5 blueberries.  Just not working so far.  But, we'll keep trying!


We planted two pomegranate trees a while back.  During our cold winter I thought they had died for sure.  But, this spring they've come back green and gorgeous!  No fruit yet, but we'll keep watching!

But....we have found something we can grow.  And grow very well, I might add!


Any guesses???


Yup.  Poison Ivy.  We grow it amazingly.  This is Micah's second year to have a problem with it.  Last year was rough on him.  He got it ALL OVER! 
We learned a few things and when he came in contact with it this year, we took steps so it wouldn't spread all over him.


He still needed a trip to the doctor since it was so close to his eyes.  A week later and he's looking much better. Poor Kid.


Too bad there's not a market for poison ivy.  We'd be rich!! :o)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Poor Micah. But he still has a big smile for the camera. What a guy :-)

    I'm like you. Not a natural gardener but I try every year. My little garden is so small compared to your property but I try to make the most of it. Keep trying my friend. Some plants take a while to mature and bear fruits. xx

    ReplyDelete