Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Super Yummy Cornbread

Okay, Sis, I'm going to start you off with a super easy recipe.  This will be a starting point for some other recipes, because you can easily transform it into other dishes.  You'll see!
But, for now, I think you'll really love this Super Yummy Cornbread!
Cornbread can be so versatile!  We serve it with Beef Stew (I'll be posting that recipe soon....it's amazing), Josh's Chili, we eat it for breakfast, we love it!

For a long time my family wasn't much on cornbread.  I didn't like the gritty texture and the "corn" taste always seemed so strong and bitter to me.  A few years ago I decided to try cornbread again and came across this recipe.  We loved it!  Even though it was a bit too sweet (I had to tweak that a bit), we loved that the corn wasn't overpowering.  But, it's not gluten-free.  So 3 weeks ago I set out to make it gluten-free, but not being to "corny" (ha!) and we love the results!  
 Here's what you need:
1 Cup of milk
1 Tablespoon of Lime Juice
2 Whole Eggs
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/2 Cup of Butter
2 1/4 Cups of Extra-Fine Cornmeal

Okay, Let's talk Cornmeal for a bit. Some have Gluten in it, so watch out! We like the extra-fine cornmeal. It gives the cornbread a more cake like texture and it's not so gritty.


I cannot find buttermilk here, so I "make" my own. You could definitely skip this step and just use one cup of plain milk. But, I like to do this so I feel more like Suzy Homemaker ;o)
 ~Add one Tablespoon of Lime Juice to one cup of milk. Do this first so the milk has time to sit (at least 3 minutes) After it has sat, stir in the one teaspoon of baking soda.  Make sure this is mixed in well...I hate Baking soda clumps!  Eww.



~Add 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt to 2 1/2 Cups of Cornmeal in bowl.  Mix together. 



~Melt 1/2 cup of butter in the microwave.  Then, add in 1/2 cup of sugar and mix well.



~Whisk in 2 eggs into the butter/sugar mixture, then add the milk to this and mix well.


~Pour the milk/butter mixture into the cornmeal and stir until lumps are gone.
~Pour batter into greased 8x8 pan.
~Bake for about 30mins in a 375 degree oven.

Delicious!  We love it and I know you will too!
Now, I'm off for more baking....I've got an idea in my head for some cobbler with a tropical spin...Gluten-Free, of course!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, sis!!! I know what to put on my shopping list for Friday. I made a box of ready mixed GF cake tonight. It was really good. I sent two of the cupcakes home with Mom for her and Dad to try. But I do want to do the more Suzy Homemaker route of cooking. The baked goods and breads will taste so much yummier that way!

    ReplyDelete