Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Hymn for June ~ Abide With Me

The month of June is here and it's time for a new hymn for this month.  I have enjoyed the ones that I have picked for each month and I felt like they have captivated the theme of what I needed.  I knew this month I needed a hymn that was a good reminder to me.  I needed a reminder to stay faithful, keep moving forward, keep trusting.....all rolled into one.  As I looked and looked, I came across "Abide With Me" and knew this was the  hymn I needed.

I'll be honest.  May was tough.  The hymn "Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus" was very fitting and I sang it often.  I felt the Holy Spirit reminding me plenty to put my trust in Him.  I wish I could say that each day I did just that.  But, truthfully, I didn't.  I struggled.  Then, when I struggled, I beat myself up over it and couldn't believe I was struggling to trust the Lord.  Shouldn't I know better?  Yes.  But there were days when I doubted.  There were days when I cried to God not understanding.  It was a tough month.  I knew I needed a gentle reminder that would be an encouragement for me in June.  Just read through these words and you will see too:

Abide with me:  fast falls the eventide;  The darkness deepens;  Lord, with me abide:  When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;  Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pas away; Change and decay in all around I see;  O Thou who changes not, abide with me!

I need Thy presence every passing hour.  What but Thy grace can foil the tempters's power?  Who like thyself my guide and my stay can be?  Thro' cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;  Shine thro' the gloom, and point me to the skies;  Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee:  In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

I will also be memorizing Psalm 91:1 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of them most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."   And if you would like to listen to the music of the beautiful hymn, Abide with Me, I have created a playlist that you can find here.

It is going to be a really great month.  I know there will be struggles, and I know there will be victories, too.  My goal is to Abide with Him.

2 comments:

  1. It's another lovely hymn. We can surely take comfort in the knowledge that He abides with us. Amen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hymn is so fitting for the present times. This world is so chaotic right now and sinking deeper and deeper into darkness. Calling good evil and evil good. My mom and I have been talking about the Lord's return that things seem to be pointing toward the end. How easily a one world government, police force, leader, etc. Could be set up right now to bring peace to turmoil. And so many people would accept it. I keep thinking about the Rapture these days!

    ReplyDelete