Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Helping with Mam-maw's House

After a loved one passes away, there are many things that need to be done.  One of them was to take care of Mam-maws things.  It's a big job for my Mom and her siblings, so my sisters and I decided we would come to help.  When I went to buy my ticket Beth was sitting next to me on the couch.  She said, "I think I would like to come along too."  As secretary of VSIBC, she doesn't make a ton of money.  But, she has been very wise and frugal and I'm so proud of how she handles her finances.  She had a nice cushion to where she could buy her ticket.  I'm so glad she did!


Her and I had a good time together as we travelled to Michigan.    We talked, laughed, read... and she even let me hold her hand when there was turbulence! ;o)



It was hard coming to Mam-maw's house knowing she wouldn't be there.  But, we decided she would want us to make the best of it and  enjoy our time together.  My sisters and I worked hard getting everything ready for the yard sale.  We had everything priced and ready to go.  It was a lot colder than we expected, that's for sure!


The morning of the yard sale we had a little surprise.  Snow!!
Snow is so beautiful.  But on yard sale day??? We made the most of it and people started coming in droves.  It was unbelievable!!  Those Michiganders were ready for a good yard sale!!


Beth being there was orchestrated by God, that's for sure.  We needed her!  She stayed busy all day carrying things out.  And then she passed out tracts when she could.  Such a Godly lady she is!


She even helped push a van that was stuck.  The snow made a mess of my Mam-maw's yard!!



We worked hard and then we cleaned up Mam-maw's house to prepare for the realtor to come.  In between working my Aunt Robin treated us to some wonderful meals.  She's so good to us and has earned her title of "Mama Michigan!"




30 degrees and ice cream? OH Yes!! And this pretzel salted caramel was some of the best ice cream I've ever had!!


A few hours before time to fly home, we walked through the back lane.  We sat on the swing.  We reminisced and thought about Mam-maw and Pap-paw and the Godly heritage that we have.  We have smiles on our faces, but our hearts were sad at the same time.  It's amazing how you can miss someone, and yet be so thankful for them at the same time.  I'm so thankful for heaven. That's a hope I don't take for granted!



My sister and I were talking about Mam-maw's house.  We had never noticed the peeling wallpaper or the uneven walls.  We had never noticed the places needing paint, or the loving wear and tear on a generational home.  But, now that Mam-maw wasn't there, we noticed.  Then, we realized why.  SHE is what made this house a home.  She made it a place that people wanted to gather.  She made it a place where all felt welcome and loved.  She knew how to make it home.  Without her there it was just wood and paper.  It makes me inspired to be the ultimate homemaker like she was.  I want my home to be a refuge for the weary.  I want it to be a place where a cup of iced tea on the front porch and undivided attention is commonplace.  I want my house to be a home. That's the goal I have, just like my Mam-maw.




 And then with a snap, it was time to get back on the plane.  We were tired.  But a good kind of tired.  Lots of coffee for me, that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that you had so much help to deal with your maw maw's house and effects. It truly is and I'm so glad that your lovely daughter Elizabeth was able to join you. You've made a wonderful tribute to your maw maw and the goal of making a home like she did is a great one. God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete