Saturday, January 27, 2024

What's in your pasture?

Since starting our little adventure with Storybook Farms, certain passages of Scripture ring more true to me.  The instances where land, animals, and farmlife are used to portray a truth seem to sink in more with me lately.  This happened not too long ago when I was reading in Hosea:

"According to their pasture, so were they filled..." Hosea 13:6

The things that I put in the pen with my goats, they eat.  Living where we do, we don't have a whole lot of pasture.  So my goats don't have a whole lot of grasses to eat.  Recently Patrick just planted some winter Rye in an empty pen.  Once the grass starts growing good, we will put my goats in there to feast on all the green sprouts!  What a buffet! ;o)  What we put in their pasture is what they will eat.  

I recently heard a preacher say, "Spiritual growth is directly tied to your appetite."  Basically you are what you eat!

As a parent, what am I putting in my children's "Pasture?"  What do they crave and desire?  It's so amazing how each of our children are different.  They have different strengths as well as weaknesses.  One likes Reeses, the other sour gummies.  They are so different!  But they each have cravings and desires.  It really is so important that we, as parents, put the right things into their lives. 

 My aunt often says, "Who is the parent here?"  ;o)  It's a good reminder that the parent should have the "say-so."  I want to provide the best pasture for my children to grow in and it is up to me! And, honestly, that does take effort.  It's so easy to just sit back and let happen what happens.  Especially when our children become teenagers.  Sometimes it's easier to let them have their way, but when we know what is best for them we need to be the parent. I'll give you an example.  One of my kiddos loves his XBox.  Growing up Patrick and I had Atari and Nintendo (Am I dating myself or what?)  So we have enjoyed playing games here and there with our 6 as they've grown up.  We have determined to let in be a fun thing to do, but not a lifestyle.  We don't want our children to spend hours upon hours playing a game.  It's just not healthy.  It's not a good pasture.  So, we have set some boundaries in place for how long they can play each week.  (Not each day.  It's not something we do everyday) Recently my child that enjoys the XBox more than others came to me and said, "Momma, I'm glad we have those rules in place.  If we didn't I know I would be tempted to play way more than I should."  And it's so true!  He needed those boundaries.  I needed to be careful of what I put in his pasture!



I also know that I want to put things in my kids life that will prepare them for the future.  And more specifically, to serve God in the future.  For us, this means we work on singing for the Lord.  I've taught them to sing harmony parts and work on good songs, and then sing them in church for the glory of God.  Singing really prepares hearts for the preaching, so it's so important.  It also means I make them practice the piano and their chosen instruments.  I also have started a Home Ec class for Callie where she's learning cooking skills.  The boys don't know it yet, but they will be diving into some of that next schoolyear, too!  It does take effort, and I wish I could say that I alway succeed in putting good things in my kiddos pasture, but sometimes I fail.  Sometimes I sow seeds that I don't want to be in their life.  The good thing is that when we are real and honest with our children, and when we go to them seeking forgiveness, we can always start fresh and new each day!



I'm realizing that the days I have left to sow seeds in the pasture of my kiddos isn't going to last forever.  Time is passing quickly and days are flying by.  I want to make the most of them.  I want to finish well.  What a joy to have a part in the lives of these precious treasures from God!



 

1 comment: