Friday, September 4, 2020

To Marry A Preacher


When I was in elementary school, I remember sitting on the second row during a special Wednesday night meeting at our church.  All the kids sat together to hear the preaching for this night.  I don't know who preached, or what prompted it, but I said a special prayer that night.  I prayed, "Lord, let me marry a preacher."  Little did I know what that prayer meant.

As I went into junior high and high school, that desire for marrying a preacher waned some. It wasn't on my list of requirements anymore.  And, honestly, when my handsome Prince Charming came walking into Burger King the day we met, a preacher was the farthest thing from my mind!

After being married about 2 years the Lord began to call that Prince Charming of mine to preach.  My mind flooded back to that second row prayer.  God had heard me.  He had planned ahead.  He was giving me a preacher hubby.

I definitely didn't know all that that would entail.  But, each day I'm learning what that means.

To marry a preacher means:

~You marry a man with a dream and vision that is unbelievable!  Like in the above photo.  We were out to dinner with a sweet couple that had been visiting our church.  They asked about the plans for the property.  My preacher/hubby whipped out a napkin and did a diagram of that building to come.  I also know the next phase and the next and the desires God has given him for the future of our church.  It's amazing!

~You marry a man that is still a man.  Even though he is and should be held to a higher standard, he's still human and still makes mistakes.  Guess what?  The woman he married does, too.

~Your home is (Or should be) open at any time for a haven of rest.  It has been our joy to have our door knocked on late into the night with someone needing counsel from my husband.  It has been a joy to have people into our home where we feed them, talk with them, befriend them, all the while my preacher hubby has a heart to help.

~ You are often his sounding board for ideas.  I don't know how many times I've gone into his office and he says, "Listen to this!"  And then he goes and excitedly preaches almost his entire sermon that the Lord is giving him to preach the next day.  I confess, sometimes I sit there thinking,  "I'm going to be listening to this whole thing again tomorrow!"  But, seeing his excitement as he shares what the Lord has given him is a treasure that only I get to partake of. (or Josh if he happens to walk in!) It's special.

~Your life is an open book and each thing you say or do can be used in a funny story or illustration on Sunday.  That' just life in a preacher's family!

~You have to share him.  At many different times.  This has taken some getting used to.  He needs to be available for the needs of his flock.  On the other hand, I am so thankful for a husband that listens when I communicate my needs to him.  Sometimes I gently let him know that I need him with no interruptions.  There are time he has stepped away and let Josh handle any matters that arise.  We have found that balance is key here.  But, for the most part, I know that our schedule, meal time, and day could have a slight shift at any moment.  And that's okay.  It's good that the people of VSIBC need him.

~You marry a man that has a heart for others and gives it willingly.  Sometimes that means that his heart will break.  He will get hurt along the way.  Sometimes accidentally, sometimes intentionally.   As he sees the decisions others make and warn them of the path they are on, he cries and aches for them.  He warns them and sometimes they don't heed his warnings.  It truly breaks his heart.  But, then!  Then, there are those that listen, and grow closer to the Lord a step at a time.  It's those times of victories that keep him going!  Marrying a preacher means that there will be ups and downs.  One moment he's soaring with thoughts of those getting saved, the next moments he's disappointed of news of those that are walking away from God.  It can be a roller coaster.  But, that is the life of a preacher that truly loves.  It makes my job of loving him and creating a home that is a haven full of joy all the more important.

Many wonderful things are happening at our church.  God is working!  And I'm so thankful that God gave me this preacher-hubby to love on and care for.  Being his helpmeet is my greatest calling and I'm so thankful for him!

 

2 comments:

  1. I read in your posts about how God is moving on hearts and people to save them, to support the broader vision of a bigger church and to meet your material needs. God is so good and the two of you make a wonderful, loving team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Kami, and so true.

    ReplyDelete