Thursday, October 1, 2020

How Firm a Foundation ~ Hymn for October

 "Fear not I am with thee, O be not dismayed,  I am thy God and will still give thee Aid;

I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,

Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."

As I read those words, I knew that "How Firm a Foundation" was the hymn I wanted to focus on for the month of October.  I know I've talked about it a bunch, but, Wow, 2020 has thrown us some surprises, hasn't it?  When I set out to focus on some words to the hymns we sing and to memorize the verses that apply to the truths, I never realize how much I would need them.  I didn't realize the trials that we would face throughout this year.  It has been a wonderful reminder and a constant comfort to know that the Lord is with us and He will give us aid! He wants to strengthen us and help us.  Whether it is through a pandemic, unrest in our government and society, or whatever difficulty is around us, we have a firm foundation to stand on in Christ.  He is the one that never changes!  He can be our strength through these times!

As I researched the writing of this hymn, there are many uncertainties as to its origin.  It is simply marked as the author being "K"  (Nice letter, by the way, :o) )  We do know that this was a favorite hymn of Andrew Jackson's wife. After he left the Presidency and returned to his home, "the Hermitage" visitors would come from everywhere to be with President Jackson.  It is told that once there was a crowd of people and Andrew Jackson called on a local minister to lead the people in singing this hymn at his home.  He told them that it was his wife's favorite hymn until her dying day, and he wanted to hear it again.  So, the minister led the crowd in singing, "How Firm A Foundation."

1

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

2

“Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.”

3

“When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.”

4

“When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.”

5

“E’en down to old age all My people shall prove
My sovereign, eternal, unchangeable love;
And then, when grey hairs shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still in My bosom be borne.”

6

“The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no, never, no, never forsake!”

For this month I will be memorizing 2 Timothy 2:19, "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.  And Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

To listen to this hymn I have created a youtube playlist that you can find here:  How Firm a Foundation

What a great month this is going to be!  As a Christian, we know that our foundation, Jesus Christ, is sure, strong and never changes!



2 comments: