Thursday, August 19, 2021

HER House


 HER House.  What comes to your mind when you think of your home? Do you think about all you wish it would be?  Do you think of the parts in your home that you wish were different? 

 I think every woman has a list in her head of what she would change....bigger kitchen, bigger bathtub, this room moved here, a new couch....I think we could all make a big list!  And then we hop on social media and see other's homes.  Then, we think we need to paint the walls, add a new on-trend color to our decor, and have a manicured lawn that doesn't have any weeds.  Comparison can rob of a woman of her purpose in building HER Home.  Let's face it, our home will never be the same as anyone elses.  Even if we built the same exact structure and filled it with the same exact decor, the dynamics of the people that live in your home would make it a completely different place.  This is where comparison becomes dangerous.  It makes us discontent with the things we have. It makes us discontent with the people God has given us.  

2 Corinthians 10:12  "...but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

It's important to remember:

~Everything you see on social media isn't exactly showing the whole picture.  Did a friend just post a picure of a beautiful plate of food that she is serving her family for dinner?  It is colorful, nutritious, has every food group balanced perfectly, and her family LOVES it!  While those may be true, she took the picture on her clean table, not by her sink that is full of dirty dishes.  We really aren't seeing the whole picture, just the good stuff.

~Just because we get a new couch, or new plates, or new whatever, doesn't mean eveything in our home will be perfect.  I don't want to have an, "If only I had _____________" attitude.  That kind of attitude is never satisfied and soon there will be a new thing to fill in the blank.

~God filled my home with my people.  I'm in the season I'm in.  I don't have little ones.  I have wonderful middle schoolers, one elementary kiddo, and two amazing adults in my home.  I have a husband that is all mine.  I don't need to compare and wish for a different season in my life.

~I have everything I need to have a home that glorifies God and pleases Him. He knows that my home will never be totally manicured and perfect.  He knows that the people in my home (including me) will never be perfect.  God doesn't get glory because we're perfect, we will never be!  He is pleased when we are striving to please Him!  That means when we make a mistake, we get it right.....with Him and all those involved.  That means we are content with what we have, who we have, and where we are in life. 

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

I recently heard someone say, "A home is more than a structure to hold belongings and shelter us, it's where our very life is lived."  This home that God has given me is the place where I will live my life.  It's where my husband and children will live their lives.  I want to fill it with contentment and peace!

2 comments: