Monday, August 16, 2021

What to do with your wedding dress?



It was a little over 27 years ago that I said "I Do" to the man of my dreams.  I remember the days leading up to my wedding and all of the fun preparations.  My Mom and I made many wonderful memories together.  We planned, crafted and shopped.  I remember trying on my wedding dress for the first time and feeling like a princess.
But then, after the wedding, we put my dress in a big rubbermaid container.  It has stayed that way, in my parents house.  It has taken residence in their garage, made a move with them, been put in the attic....what good parents I have!
I remember, after my wedding, asking myself what I would do with my wedding dress.  I didn't want to sell it.  But when would I wear it again?  It was then I knew I wanted my daughters to use it.  I didn't want them to wear it, I knew they would want to have the fun of picking out their very own wedding dress, but I knew I wanted them to use a piece of it.  You know, the "something old" idea?  I thought it would fit perfect!  So, 27 years ago my dress was boxed up in dreams of one day having a daughter that wanted to use a piece. 
Well....those dreams came true.


Brenna and I made her bouquet.  She wanted it big and spriggy.  It's full of lots of greenery and white flowers.  It turned out beautiful!!!  I asked her if she would like to wrap some of the lace from my dress around her bouquet.  She loved that idea.


So we took my dress out of the box (we brought it back from my parents house last time we visited) and I pulled out the scissors.  Brenna gasped and said, "Oh Momma, are you sure?"  And then I told her, "Oh yes!  This has been a dream of mine for over 27 years!"  Although she was fighting tears, I  was not.  I was so proud and so happy.  


The countdown is on.  We are reminded daily of how many days until the wedding.  Today it's 39.  39 days until my Brenna is in the place I was 27 years ago.  She has wonderful dreams in her head.  She has hopes and desires.  My prayer is that those dreams will be fulfilled for her one day.  Just like mine were for me today.  

 

4 comments:

  1. It was so sweet of you to share a bit of your lovely wedding dress with Brenna! It was also sweet of you to share a wedding photo with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious memories and hopes and dreams fulfilled and imagined. I love the lace around the stems of the bouquet. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so precious,Kami. And a great idea. Maybe I will copy your idea. I still have my wedding dress at BJs parents. I haven't been able to part with it either.

    ReplyDelete