Friday, May 5, 2023

An open letter to my 13 year old girl

It seems like we were just announcing the arrival of our Callie Grace.  Well, it wasn't just yesterday like my mind would like to pretend,  it was 13 years ago.  13!!


I'm very proud of the young lady that Callie is becoming.  She's thoughtful, considerate and diligent.  She has a heart to serve her Daddy and her Heavenly Father.  She loves to read.  (In fact, as I type I'm sitting in the library while she looks at books to her heart's content.  That was her birthday wish.)  She is an amazing student and studies for fun.  She loves her cat, Olive and her chickens, too.  She's improving in the piano and violin and now sings in the choir.  She is just an all around amazing young lady!


Do you remember when you turned 13?  At the time it seemed such a monumentous age.  You could declare that you were a teenager and on your way to being a grown up!  There were more responsibilities and freedoms given.  I have great memories of growing up!  So, as my girl is turning 13 today, I thought I would share an open letter to my 13 year old with you.


My Dearest Callie Grace,

Today you turn 13!  What a wonderful age to be!!  You are a teenager now and I know you are so excited about this year ahead.  With it comes new responsibilities, new things to do and  new things to accomplish.  It's going to be a great journey through your 13th year!  As your Momma, I thought I would write you a letter to encourage you and help you along the way.  These are things that helped me and also things that I wish I would've taken to heart too.  Some I did.  Some I learned in the process.  Either way, these are from my heart.  

Sweet Callie Grace, as you go through life, you will find that there are challenges.  We should always be learning and growing, but through this process there will be some rocks that wind up being on your path that God has for you.  Sometimes you may find a bump or two along the way.  What should you do?  Keep your eyes on Jesus and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Never stop growing.  Never stop moving forward.  It's so easy for us to want to stop and look at that big old boulder trying to block our path.  We may want to cry about it.  We may want to blame someone for putting it there.  We may want sit and pout for a bit.  That's what satan would like for you.  He doesn't want you to keep moving forward.  He would like for you to get your eyes off of Christ and stop and look at the difficulty.  

Girls and women that get off track like this show it in many different ways.  Sometimes it manifests in the form of negativity and complaining.  They have a hard time finding the good in a situation.   Instead of being thankful on a rainy day that the trees and flowers have a fresh drink of water, they are bummed about the dark clouds and miss the sun.  It's all about perspective.  It takes a choice to look for the good, but I've found that the more you do, the easier it will become.  There is good to be found, choose to be the one to find it, point it out, and spread joy to others.

Another way a girl shows that she's got her eyes on a difficulty instead of on Christ is through how she spends her time.  Usually, when we are hurt by something or someone, it's easy to retreat.  We try to find something that we can just do and not think about.  We may amuse ourselves with stuff that doesn't really matter and waste time.  Even though everyone needs a relaxing moment now and then, this is different.  The girl that becomes withdrawn from her family and what God would have for her, is a girl that is unhappy inside.  It's so important to recognize when we are trying to numb the pain. When you  have a difficulty you need to talk to God about it.  You need to talk to your parents and those that God has placed in your life to help you.  Then, you need to get busy serving.  It's amazing the joy that comes when we fully get busy serving Jesus!  I've seen you do special things for people and how you radiate happines afterwards.  There's just nothing like it!  Don't be afraid to work.  Don't even be afraid to sweat.  It takes dedication and effort to keep moving forward, but it is always worth it.

One last thing I've noticed when a girl gets her eyes off of Christ is that she becomes "worldly."  Her desire and focus starts to be on the latest fashion, hairstyles and fads.  Now, you know that us girls love to talk clothes and hair and all the girly stuff.  It's so fun to be a girl!  But, this is different.  This girl gets her eyes on people that she shouldn't want to imitate.  It may be a popular girl, or maybe someone from a movie.  But then she starts wanting to be like them.  She talks like them, dresses like them and begins to act like them. Somehow our minds start telling us that they are perfect and there are no flaws in them.   That's simply not true.   Be you.  God created you to be Callie Grace. And that's who you ought to be.  Yes, you have your flaws.  We all do!  But, be who God intended you to be.  

Your life will be full of ups and downs.  That' just how it is.  Enjoy the times you are up.  Make memories, make friends, smile and cling to Jesus during those times.  The times you are down remember that Jesus is right there next to you.  Cling to Him during your times when things are all mixed up.  Keep your eyes on Him and putting one foot in front of the other.

I am so proud of you.  You encourage me and many others to keep on for the Lord.  Your testimony is powerful and I'm so thankful that I get to say you are my daughter.

I love you,

Momma




 

3 comments:

  1. Happiest birthday, sweet Callie!
    What a beautiful letter and deep truth!! Praying you had a blessed day!!
    Our love~
    The Mayo Ladies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a blessing, Kami, and I know it is precious to Callie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling daughter. I'm sending her best wishes for a belated happy Birthday. May she continue growing in the love and knowledge of our Lord and may the Lord bless and keep her. She has wonderful examples all around her and I'm sure she feels your love.

    ReplyDelete