Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Turn in the Nursery

Every Sunday morning it is my turn in the nursery. This is when Silas eats, so I have to be in there! This week about half-way through the service, I had a special visitor. This is a picture of Ines. Ines and her family moved to Quebec about a month ago from the Ivory Coast. They do not know English, and I barely know French. When she came into the nursery we both said "Bonjour!" Then, I asked her how her week was at school. (Patrick and I were practicing on the way to church how to ask them that) From what I can tell she has been tired and cold. I realized she's probably experiencing a good bit of culture shock moving here. Ines tried to talk and she played with Silas some. I decided since I didn't really know how to say "You should probably go back into the church service", that I would try to talk to her. Even though we've been here since May, we've only had about 10 classes in French. It is still very difficult for us to communicate and understand. When you understand MAYBE one word per sentence, it can be very difficult. We thought we'd be moving along much faster, but we're studying our hardest, and praying the Lord will bless our weak minds! :o) She began to take out toys....I would say every word I could think of about the toy....door, window, car, etc. She would then teach me things I didn't know. We would both laugh when we couldn't understand each other. I pulled out my French-English dictionary and figured out how to tell her that she is now my teacher. I also told her "Thank you for being very patient!"

Then, I got out my camera to take a picture of her and Silas. She loves Silas, especially his hair. Then, she wanted to take pictures. Ines is truly a sweetheart, very soft spoken and ready to be a blessing.
I realized Sunday that I have a very long way to go in learning my French. I also learned that kids are kids, whether they're from Ivory Coast, Canada, or the USA. God has given me a burden to reach children. I want to tell them that the Lord loves them and show them how much fun being a Christian can be. I want to teach them how to have true Joy! I'm so thankful the Lord let me and Ines try to communicate. I've made a friend and I'm so thankful.


2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful girl she is too. I am so glad that the Lord is allowing you to learn in all different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time you had during nursery!

    ReplyDelete