Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Come....Find Rest

For our personal devotion time, our family has been reading in the same place. We're reading through the New Testament Chronologically. While I've been reading, I've also been writing down all the promises that the Bible gives. Wow! It's amazing all the promises God makes to us. I'm looking for personal promises that could say, "If you do....., then I will...." My list is getting long and I'm loving looking at all the promises God has. The even better thing is knowing that God cannot lie, He is so faithful, so I know He keeps His promises!
Today I read in Matthew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
The conditional is that we have to Come. How easy is that! God is waiting for us with open arms wanting us to just come! I started thinking this morning about other religions. In order to approach or come to their god, they have to crawl on bloody knees, repeat phrases over and over, be baptised, perfom spiritual rituals, I could go on and on. I started thinking about my God. He says Come, all that labour and are heavy laden. He wants us to come to Him with all of our problems, guilt, and sin. He just wants us to come to Him. And what is His promise if we come to Him? Rest! I think all of us go throughout the day sometimes wishing for rest. Not necessarily physical sleep (although, most of us would love an afternoon to take an unintterupted nap!) but He wants to give our hearts and souls rest. How often throughout the day we are plagued with guilt from our past, guilt from what we should be today, and fear of what tomorrow may bring. Our Heavenly Father wants to give us rest from all of that! It's His promise! All we have to do is...Come!

1 comment:

  1. very good, Kami. When I first moved here we had a guest Preacher talk to the church staff about rest. Not sleep, but rest. Oh what peace we know when we give it to the Lord. Hope y'all have an exciting and restful day!

    ReplyDelete