Saturday, January 16, 2010

My sewing machine cover

After we moved the Christmas tree out of the living room, I moved back in my sewing machine. I find that I'm much more likely to enjoy my hobby if it's set up and ready to go! One problem...a one year old that loves to touch things! Especially things with shiny parts and buttons that Mom likes to touch!! I had been thinking about making a cover for a while to protect my machine from so much dust. But, now that Silas loves to touch it, I thought I had to make one to protect my machine from Silas! So, I found this easy tutorial online:
Craft Blog » Sewing Machine Cover Tutorial
I had never done boxed corners before. My Mom makes them all the time when she makes bags, but it's just one of those things that look a little confusing to me. And it was! I sewed it the first time thinking "Wow! That was easy!" Until I put it right side out and had a pretty diamond shape. Whoops! After thinking it over and a phone call to Mom, I ripped out the stitches and tried again...the right way! It was very easy and now I'm ready to box corner everything! (And cover everything in red toile too! :o)


But, unfortunately, my little man is very smart and figured out that my shiny, button-filled machine is actually under there! Oh well, I had good intentions!

3 comments:

  1. I used to hate toile anything, but the more I see it, the more it grows on me - and now I love it! LOL I've done box corners on a bag before, and like you said, once you do it right, it's pretty easy. Great job on your machine cover - just wish it worked a little better to fool the little one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! You did a great job. And I love the fabric. I knew Silas was smart and would figure out.....you were hiding his shiny fun to touch toy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, Kami. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete