Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Working on it

It's easy.
Very easy to get so busy living daily life that I sometimes forget.

I've noticed something in one of my little ones.  Something that sort of surprised me that was coming from their sweet mouth  What did I notice?  Words.  Words that are harsh and not so sweet.  Words that are demanding and a little selfish.  My first thought?  "Oh, they surely need to work on that!"

But then, my devotions came along. God's Word is so powerful and always seems to be written for me.

I was reading in Luke chapter 4.  Many exciting things were happening as Jesus's earthly ministry was getting started!  Many were hearing him preach and teach in the synagogue and it says in verse 22,
"And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth." 

 That made me stop and think about the words proceeding out of my mouth.  Have they been gracious lately?  Well....I guess they hadn't.  They had been words spoken in a rush, with some harshness and impatience...sort of like the words I was hearing come out of my little one.

As I kept reading, I saw later in the chapter that Jesus spoke with authority and power.  I thought, "That's what I need, for my words to be obeyed by my little ones!"  But, then the Holy Spirit reminded me of the earlier verse of gracious words.  Maybe I'm getting things a little out of order.  And maybe those precious little ears are hearing Momma let her words slip just a little and not having the sweetness they ought to.

It was a good reminder for me to watch my every word and the manner in which it is spoken. The actual words I am speaking might be fine, but what about how they sound?  The best thing I can do for my children is to let them see me living for Christ, especially with my words.  They are watching.  They are copying me.   So, now what is my thought?  "Oh, WE surely need to work on that!"

3 comments:

  1. So true! My friend and I were just talking about this today. Proverbs 31:26 has been going through my mind, "She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness." That kindness part is something that I am constantly working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I need to work on too. God help each of us. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Something I need to work on too!!

    ReplyDelete