Thursday, August 13, 2020

Can I doubt His tender mercy?

 

It has been amazing this year, as I've focused on singing more praises to the Lord during my devotion time, how He continually points me to scripture on singing.  I was in Psalms yesterday and I was reminded over and over to sing praises unto Him.  It's a command from our Savior, not a request.  It's amazing how a day that seems to be filled with turmoil and unrest can change in a moment when we fill it with songs of praise.

I am enjoying the hymn this month of "All the Way My Savior Lead Me."  The words are so powerful!  And knowing who wrote this hymn really puts things into perspective.  Fanny Crosby wrote over 8,000 hymns, which is absolutely amazing.  But, she did it with an extra challenge.  She was blind.  

When she was only six weeks old she lost her sight.  Whether it was due to a doctor's error, or a congenital defect is arguable, however she was blind.  At 6 months old she lost her father and was raised by her mother.  Even though she had many difficulties, she did not let that stop her from being used by the Lord.  She said, "It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me."  She also said, "When I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior" Wow!  What an outlook!

It really makes the words to the hymn come alive when you know who wrote them.


Can I doubt His tender mercy,

Who through life has been my guide?

Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,

Here by faith in Him to dwell!


2 comments: