Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Paratha Bread"

I have posted a few recipes from the cookbook "The Wooden Spoon". It is one of my favorite cookbooks! I found this recipe the other day that we tried and liked it a lot! So, I thought I would share it. This is a recipe used in India and is sort of like a tortilla...but different. We ate it with our meal and it complemented everything very well! In a large bowl mix together:
1 cup flour (it says whole wheat, but I was out...so I added all-purpose)
a sprinkle of cumin seeds (oh dear, none of those, so I added crushed coriander) optional
a sprinkle of celery seeds, optional
With your fingers mix 2 Tbsp. butter into flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal.
Make a soft dough by adding 2-3 Tbsp. water (I actually had to add more, about 5)
Knead well and divide dough into 4 parts. Shape each into a ball. On lightly floured surface, roll one ball at a time into a 4 inch circle. Fold the dough twice to make a quarter of a circle. Roll this triangular shape until the length of the sides is about 6 inches.

Heat a skillet, then add triangle. Cook for one minute, then flip. Cook that side also for about one minute and brush with melted butter. Turn one more time. Paratha is done when it puffs very slightly and is slightly brown.


We've made this a couple of times already and love it! I love true ethnic food!

No comments:

Post a Comment