Saturday, July 17, 2010

Trying to Train

Sometimes days with my little guy can be trying. Silas is the most active child I have ever had. He is so busy, busy, busy. But, I also have to say, he's very intelligent, too! How many 18 month old children can say the sounds of 11 different animals? (He knows more animal sounds than words!) (I guess that's enough bragging for now!)

Silas is incredibly curious. Sometimes it's hard to direct that curiosity in the right way, so that he can learn and understand, but still know boundaries and be safe as well. Do you know what I mean? I don't want to have so many limits that he can't explore and learn, but he's definitely at the age where he understands the word "no". I also feel like our house isn't childproof enough and there are so many things he can get into that could hurt him. (Last week he got out the pots and pans and put them on top of the stove, then tried to put them in the oven!) (Praise the Lord the oven wasn't on!)

When my Mom was here she loved to watch Silas run from room to room, touching everything in sight, giggling, and figuring things out. Silas really likes all of the cabinets in the kitchen and the drawers too. Mom sweetly reminded me about Silas having his own drawer and teaching him to stay out of the others. (It's amazing how much stuff you forget about your little ones when there is a 10 year gap!) So, for a month and a half we've been keeping him out of the other cabinets,and pointing him to "His!" drawer. When he opens the other drawers, I say, "No, Silas, play in your drawer" He's doing very well, and I think it finally clicked with him last week. He's playing in his drawer! Yay! He still looks a little mischievious, though. Doesn't he? What a cutie!
I went in the other room to change Callie and when I came back I was so proud of my little guy. He even cleaned up his mess!! He probably sang the clean up song the whole time, too.
My Silas is growing up! Love you, Bud!




1 comment:

  1. Awww...your baby is growing up so fast. I love his curiosity about everything and all his energy!! Wish we could bottle and sell some of that. :-) And I love to hear him singing, my favorite is the Walk Walk song. He is so adorable. Enjoy this time....it passes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete