Thursday, January 7, 2021

I get to do this.


 It was in the 40s.  Thats a chilly morning for North Central Florida!  There is just something extra cold about Florida chill.  It was also trash morning.  So, I sent my boys out, all bundled up ready to get their chore done.  As they started down the driveway, I glanced out.  There were my boys, in their jackets, watching their breath in the cold morning while wheeling monsterous trash cans behind them.  I was proud of them.  I decided to holler and ask if they'd like some hot cocoa when they come in.  They were excited to know that they would have something to warm them up when they came in.  I went inside and began to make 3 cups of hot cocoa for 3 kiddos starting their morning.  

And then a sense of peace just washed over me.  

I get to do this. 

 I get to train my children how to be consistent and diligent in their chores.  I get to reward them with something as simple as hot cocoa.  I get to have it ready for them and tell them how proud of them I am.  I get to do this!

  And then I realized that my focus was right today.  You're probably somewhat like me.  It's easy to get my focus on the wrong things.  Last night I saw some of the horrible news reports coming in of strife in our country.  Who knows what is true and what to believe, but I do know this....reading about current events can be disturbing.  It can be worrisome.  It can cause us to lose our focus.  Now, I know we need to be up to date on the things going on around us. (although Patrick and I joke that I would really rather not know any of it!!)  We need to be aware of things so we know how to respond and how to pray.  But, I have to ask, "How is your focus?"  When we focus on the wrongs and the disturbances and the evil in this world, we (the ones who have the Comforter living in our hearts) no longer live a life of peace.  God has given us a conditional promise in Isaiah 26:3, "Thou wilt keep Him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee:because he trusteth in Thee."

So this morning, I am focusing on what I get to do.  I want to focus on the good, even in the little things, like taking out trash and making hot cocoa.  These are the memories I want to remember.  These are the days I cherish.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I needed this today. My focus has definitely been off. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. We do need to know what is going on around us so we can pray and be better prepared. Sometimes it makes it a bit more difficult to maintain our focus but we must work at it. I'm sure the children really enjoyed that hot cup of cocoa to start their day and you really enjoyed the mothering moment. God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete