Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Books for Preteen Girls (A Guest Post by Callie Grace)


I had a friend contact me the other day and ask a question I asked myself many times about 15 years ago...."Any book recommendations for preteens?"  I remember when Josh, Beth, and Brenna became big time readers.  They loved loved loved books!!  But the struggle of keeping up with their reading was not possible.  It got to the point that it was hard to read through books before I gave them to them to read.  It was impossible!  They just read way to much for me to be able to do that.  BUT, I didn't want to stifle their desire to read, so I began to ask around and get recommendations from my friends.  I wanted the books they read to be free of any cursing, promiscuity, and point my children to the Lord, not away from Him.  The philosophies in some preteen books is scary and their influence was not one I wanted in the lives of my kiddos.


Well, the love of books has now passed on to Silas, Callie and Micah.  They love to read as well!  Callie is, by far, my biggest book worm of my younger 3.  Quite often I make her put books down to go do something else.  She loves to read!!



So when I received the message asking for recommendations, I talked to my 10 (soon to be 11) year old and asked her if she would be willing to do a guest post and mention 5 of her favorites.  I think she had a hard time narrowing it down, but she did great!  

So, without further ado, I will hand the typewriter over to my Callie, lover books:





Hi my name is Callie. I am 10 and I like books because it opens you into a whole new world. I like to read in my bed or on a swing outside.   These are some books I like:



The first one is the Red Rock Mystery Series by Jerry Jenkins and Chris Fabry.  My Dad used to read these to us and we were so excited whenever we started a new one. It's about two teenagers, Bryce and Ashley Timberline who solve mysteries on their ATVs.  These books have things that could possibly happen in real life.  These are some of my favorites and there are 15 books in the series.




Another one of the series is called The Peabody Series. It's about these teenagers who come from totally different lifestyles... one was an ex-bully and foster kid and the others must get over their predjudice to work together through many compelling adventures.  


Another certain book I Iike is not a series,though it does have a sequel. It's called Hattie Big Sky. 16-year-old Hattie moves from Iowa to Montana to live in her uncle's old homestead claim,in which her life began an exciting adventure.     




 Another series is called the Millie Keith Series and the Elsie Dinsmore Series,both from A Life of Faith books. From these books, you can see a girl in a certain time period grow up,spiritually and phisically.

I hope you enjoy them!


Thanks Callie!  She's a pretty awesome girl!!  :o)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations Callie.

    I’m a mom that’s about ten years behind you Kami. I have three older kids, who were adopted. They are ages 10G, 9G, and 8B. Next we have two little girls, ages 2 and 4. Our lives are full with homeschooling and other lots of appointments for my older kids with special needs. Then, we found out we were pregnant with a little boy (I’m 13 weeks now). I’m very nervous, but look up to those who have done it before me. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful life you have for sure! I know the days are busy and hectic, but your full hands show that your heart is full of love as well. 6 children is perfect!! (in my eyes of course) :o) And the space between the two "sets" will probably get you all sorts of questions. But our family dynamic works so well and I know it will for you too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Callie. This gives me great ideas for books for our kids to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that all your children love to read. Callie and I share a similar love of books where we have to interrupt ourselves or someone interrupts us because we really must eat or do other things, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were some of our girls favorites as well, back in the day. Callie would enjoy the books Priscilla has written. She also has one coming out soon through Sword of the Lord publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! We read the entire Red Rock Mystery series aloud when my dad had knee surgery and was in his season of recovery! Good memories!
    Love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete