Monday, December 5, 2022

In the Midst

I recently read some sad statistics from APA.org.

69% of women feel they lack enough time during the holidays

59% of women feel nervous or sad during the holidays

88% of women feel stressed when celebrating the holidays

As I read through, my first reaction was, "Yes, who doesn't??"  But, then I realized what a sad statistic this is.  Stressed, Nervous, Rushed, Sad....are these really feelings Christ wants us to have when we are supposed to be celebrating HIS birth?  What feelings would He like for me to have?  I'm sure we could come up with quite a list.  Two, in particular, came to my mind. 

 Joy.  Peace.  

I believe this is what Christ would want us to feel as we celebrate the holidays.  Don't you?

It reminds me of after Jesus died and was buried.  The disciples had feelings of nervousness.  They were afraid.  They were probably a little confused.  As they met together, they shared feelings of fear and discouragement.  But then something miraculous happened.  We read it in John 20:19-20,

"Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 

And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side.  Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord."


When Jesus came in the midst of them, they had Peace.  They had Joy.  We see that in many verses following where Jesus wants to offer Peace.  And Joy.


When we rush from here to there and when we are stressed and nervous, we don't have peace.  And if we don't have peace and joy, then He is not in our midst.  Revelation 3:20 says that Christ is standing at the door knocking.  If He's knocking at the door, then He must be on the outside, and not in the midst.

  It reminds me of Joseph knocking on the Inn Keepers door desiring to come in.  But, it was already too full inside the Inn.  It was so full that the Inn Keeper wasn't able to make room for them.  

When we are stressed, worried, hurried, we are too full.  And when we are too full of the hustle and bustle, Christ can't be in the midst.  This Christmas I want to purpose to have Him in the midst.  Does that mean my calendar is wiped clean and I sit at home?  Definitely not!  I love going here and there looking at lights and having Christmas parties!  But, it does mean I'm being more purposeful with my time.  Peace and Joy come when He has the preeminence.   I want Him to be in the midst of my season and of my life.  He's worth it!
 

4 comments:

  1. I’ve felt rushed this season. But I feel like the activities haven’t even started. I’m having trouble just getting dinner on the table in daily life and then I have to make extra food for potlucks. It’s stressful. Going to bed early tonight to try and get more Bible time in in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! And I've definitely been there too and easily drift to that feeling of rushed and busyness. I've been thinking about posting the "How-to" in having Jesus in midst. I know I need the reminder of how to make it happen!

      Delete
    2. Would love the how-to

      Delete
  2. Each year I try to improve on what I do and how I use my time so I can enjoy the real purpose of the season. Little by little things improve each year. God is good. Have a blessed Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete