Monday, August 9, 2010

Too many cucumbers?? Make Pickles!

Harvesting a garden, oh my, it's finally coming true! We've enjoyed lots of yellow and green beans and a few tomatoes, but this week a few cucumbers were finally ready! We ate a few raw and they were so crunchy, like a potato chip. Since our family loves pickles we decided to have a try at making some!


Elisabeth did the chopping...

While Brenna worked on the vinegar mixture.



Our 3 1/2 cucumbers (Silas and Brenna ate one half) made three nice jars of refridgerator pickles.





Here's the recipe we used:

Fridge Pickles
On the stove, combine 2 cups white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of salt and 2 1/2 cups of sugar. Let this mixture boil for about 5-7 minutes. Then, pour into bowl with cucumbers (about 6 cups of sliced cukes.) Add to jars and you're done!


I've always been a pickle lover and these are fabulous!
I wonder when more cucumbers will be ready?





3 comments:

  1. Kami, I'm Lori Tullis, we met at Brookton Baptist Church in Georgia last April/May. I found your blog through another missionary wife.

    This recipe ~ have you made this before? I've been looking for a recipe that is similar to the store bought refrigerator pickles. I'll be saving this one for my recipe box.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMMMM!! Looks delicious. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds SO easy. I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete