Friday, December 24, 2021

My spirit hath rejoiced in....


Mary.  Just think about her for a moment.  Think about her upbringing, her circumstances, her betrothal, and then the words she heard from the angel.  Stop and think.  This really happened.  


I was telling Patrick last night that some of the events in the "Christmas Story"  often seem magical as if they aren't real.  But, they are!  The angel. The virgin birth.  God in flesh.  It really happened!  And when I think about Mary, and all she faced, it's amazing to me.  Who would believe her that she had kept herself pure and that this child was of the Lord?  Would her parents?  Her siblings?  Her friends?  Her spiritual leaders?  But, yet, her response is amazing.  The Bible says, "And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."  Like I said, I find that amazing.  She chose to rejoice in God! 


 It makes me think of how we view Christmas time.  Usually our expectations are a mile high. It's easy to look at our situation, and how we want things to turn out and rejoice in those.  And when things don't go as planned, we are let down and disappointed.   We often create wonderful traditions, and memory making moments (like gift giving, cookie baking, caroling....) and then rejoice in those.  Now, believe me, I love all those things.  And I try to fit in as many as possible.  But, when our rejoicing is in the things and events that we create, we are setting ourself up for disappointment.  Mary rejoiced in God.  Even though there was much unknown and uncertainty around her, she chose wisely.  

I'm so thankful for all the glorious things of the season.  I love all the memories we get to make.  But, ultimately, I want to choose to rejoice in God.  He is worthy!


 

1 comment:

  1. Kami, thank you for this. I cannot tell you how much I needed this right now. God always know exactly what we need when we need it.

    ReplyDelete